Medicines That May Help Give You Hope
One type of medicine for schizophrenia is called antipsychotic medicine. The exact way this medicine works is not known. But it is thought to help balance chemicals in the brain.
The medicines used to reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia are:
- Older, or conventional, antipsychotics. These medicines were introduced in the 1950s
- Newer, or atypical, antipsychotics. These medicines have been used since the 1990s and are more commonly used today
Medicine for schizophrenia can be given in 2 ways:
- Daily oral administration
- The medicine is taken by mouth. It usually needs to be taken once or twice a day
- Short-acting injectable (medicine that stays in the body a short time and works immediately). They are used for the short-term treatment of agitation associated with schizophrenia
- Long-acting injectable (medicine that stays in the body for a long time). This means that the doses can be given less often
For more information about these products, talk to your healthcare professional.